Quinta do Cachão is situated at the bank of the Douro river Douro, in the Cima Corgo, the most inhospitable, ancient, deep and beautiful region to which the river lends its name.
This vineyard was first planted in 1845 by Barão do Seixo and was later acquired by the Afonso Cabral’s family, which in turn sold to Messias in the year of 1956. In order to increase its production, Messias acquired in 1958, a border property, Quinta do Rei, owned by Gonzalez Byass.
Extending down the slopes of a hill topped by a small chapel dedicated to Santa Bárbara, Quinta do Cachão currently occupies 200 ha, of which half is vineyards, classified with the letter A, the highest category on the scale of the Douro. The varieties are naturally, the region’s traditional able to produce either the Port or the wine with Denomination of Origin Douro. The Touriga Franca and Tinta Roriz, constitute the dominant varieties, followed by Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca and Tinto Cão.
Ferradosa – S. J. Pesqueira